How to spot signs of unhealthy relationships? Many signs could be indicators of something being wrong in a relationship, something not working out. When things start turning sour between a couple, some symptoms inevitably appear, they could gradually appear and infest the relationship; if no action is taken, the relationship will indubitably crash.
Many factors could drive a couple to a breaking point, from realizing that you have nothing in common, to parting in different ways, or from running out of love to growing tired of each other, to say a few.
It is vital to know the signs that show that the relationship is on the edge of breaking off, is unwell, to address the issues if wanted or needed, or just let the relationship fall apart. Symptoms to look out for that shows that your relationship is unwell involve:
- NO OR LESS INTIMACY Absence or reduced number of the sex act is one of the most significant signs of something being wrong in a relationship. This is the situation where the couple has no longer any intimacy, or rarely. The couple, one or both partners, avoid having sex and sometimes avoid discussing it.
The lack of physical connection will inevitably tear apart the couple, as sex is significant in a relationship. a sexless relationship can be a substantial source of stress, discontentment, and frustration, therefore can highly damage a relationship. This is a sign to look out for and address it as soon as possible by reviving your sex life if you desire to save their relationship.
2. HAVING DIFFERENT CENTRE OF INTERESTS At some point in a relationship, one or both partners will realize that they have very little in common, they have different interests, hobbies, and passions. They have been unable to embrace each other over the years; they could not blend their interests and make them work. So, their different way of living becomes apparent, and they have separate social lives.
They do not share anything, and hence do not spend time together. It could be the case that initially, the couple has the same interest, and then over the years they outgrow each other, their priorities shifted, and their lives simply took different directions.
3. POOR OR NO COMMUNICATION Poor or lack of communication is another significant sign of the relationship falling apart. Silence treatment is mostly associated with fighting, so it is not a good thing in a relationship. It causes anxiety and confusion in a couple; partners do not really talk; neither do they share., therefore, they do not understand each other; the number of misunderstandings increases.
There is a constant disconnection between the couple, causing a tense and secretive atmosphere to take place; this would lead to some apathy in the relationship. Communication is vital in any relationship; it addresses misunderstandings and gives directions.
4. HAVING MORE ARGUMENTS A little disagreement from time to time is quite common in a relationship. But when one or both partners become easily irritated for no apparent reason, it is a sign that the relationship is unhealthy. Sometimes even the thought of the other partner or their presence makes you uncomfortable, enervates you, and brings negative feelings.
Any disagreement will quickly degenerate into an argument. You feel disconnected, misunderstood, and you are both on edge. You have no more room for any understanding because you feel like You have exhausted all your compromises, so some arguments will never get resolved.
It is imperative in this situation, to give time to each other, totally listen to each other concerns, and try to address them. If possible, involve a third party for solutions.
5. LESS OR NO AFFECTION This is the situation where affection has run out. There is no apparent emotion displayed. There is a total lack of love. The couple avoids any Public display of affection. Appreciation words disappear from their languages or are rarely used; instead, they refer to each other with insulting names. There could be long periods with no romance.
They just stop caring for each other. One or both partners has a “plan B” as they do not feel fulfilled with the relationship anymore, they get their happiness outside of the relationship.
The relationship will be in a state of stagnation. In this case, the best way is to talk things out, take action where needed, or only part ways if necessary.
6. PARTNER APPEARS LESS ATTRACTIVE Overtime in a relationship, things could change; it could be a change of emotions or physical changes. You now start to see changes in your partner. Physical changes involve putting on or losing weight, ageing signs, etc. You notice and highly dislike your partner’s flaws, instead of embracing them.
You don’t feel like making an effort for each other. This will cause the relationship to be gradually one-sided and inevitably head to the breaking point.
CONCLUSION How to spot signs of an unhealthy relationship. Signs include no or less intimacy, having different interests, poor or no communication, having more arguments, less or no affection, partner appearing less attractive.
these signs are not exhaustive. Do you know other signs? Please share in the comments.